Monday, November 9, 2009

Monsters, Inc. (2001)

Monsters-Inc

I have a soft spot for re-inventions of monsters.  I think one of the more underrated innovations of Sesame Street was the creation of the friendly monster. 

In Monsters, Inc., Pixar imagines a world where monsters scare children to generate electricity.  It’s a fabulous premise, and the movie is just as entertaining as we’ve all come to expect from Pixar.  The plot is interesting, with well developed characters and adult-friendly humor sprinkled throughout the slapstick.

I particularly enjoyed the title sequence with the doors opening and closing.  It reminded me of Rocky and Bullwinkle or a jazz-infused Looney Tunes short from the 60s.  Very cool, even if it seemed a little out of place stylistically. 

Before watching it, I always had the impression that Monsters, Inc. was one of the worst Pixar films.  After seeing it, I have no idea why that would be the case.  It’s every bit as good as the other great Disney-Pixar collaborations.  It’s also the first movie I’ve watched where Billy Crystal doesn’t annoy me.

Grade: A

0 comments:

Post a Comment